Sounds Weird, Tastes Much Better
Acadian Salted Green Onions (scallions) are a staple of Acadian cooking. There is no real recipe for salted onions, but the concept is incredibly simple: Add salt to the onions to preserve them.
- Green onions (scallions)
- Large grained kosher salt
- Chop up the green onions discarding the roots.
- Place them in a large bowl and add enough salt to coat the onions. Toss and add a bit more salt.
- Let sit overnight then add a bit more salt the next day.
- Pack your onions into mason jars to preserve.